Granite Or Quartz
Both granite and quartz can be beautiful additions to your kitchen, but they are very different materials. Both can be used as the basic material for worktops which are resistant to stains and scratches, but they do have several differences. Granite is a natural stone that comes straight out of the earth, and quartz is engineered, or "man-made".
So, which is the better choice? Well, quartz is less porous, so there is a lower chance that food and water can become trapped in the surface. However, granite portrays the most natural colours, patterns, and formations. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference.
If you are trying to decide between these two stains- and scratch-resistant surfaces, it is useful to consider the differences between the two.
Granite: 100% natural. Slab granite counters are literally sliced from quarries, cut to size, and honed down until they are smooth
Quartz: 97% natural. Prominent quartz countertop maker Caesarstone notes that 93% natural quartz aggregates are mixed with the remaining 7% of colour pigments and polymer resins. The resins bind the particles together.
Both materials require maintenance, with granite requiring slightly more than quartz:
Quartz does not need initial or continued sealing.
Granite needs to be sealed upon installation, and then again on a regular basis.
Quartz: Engineered stone has the flaws engineered out. Due to the presence of the resins, quartz counters are less prone to staining.
Granite: Natural slab granite, for all its beauty, has flaws and imperfections that homeowners either love, accept, or hate. Granite is waterproof, stain-resistant, heat resistant, scratch resistant - in most cases it will just wipe clean with a damp cloth. All our granite worktops are sealed when fitted but they will need to be resealed on a regular basis - we recommend every 4 months. Oil based substances can sink into the granite and take a long time to dry out so we recommend that all spills are mopped up immediately.
PROPERTIES OF GRANITE WORKTOPS
Granite is a natural stone that is cut directly from the surface of the earth in thick slabs and is then used in the construction of worktops and other surfaces. It is an igneous rock, which means it is formed out of magma after it has cooled down. Granite contains quartz content, along with other components. It is a tough rock, which is why it is used so often in engineering and construction. If you choose granite for your worktops, you will often see random veining and uneven colours and patterns. Some people prefer these natural qualities which offer a sleek natural look with uncompromised toughness.
PROPERTIES OF GRANITE WORKTOPS
Quartz is an engineered stone. Technically it is a mineral that is abundant in the earth's crust, and it can be used in the construction of not only worktops, but also jewellery and carving. Also known as engineered stone or quartz, this is a manufactured material made from natural quartz bound with resin. Like stone, it's very strong, heat and stain resistant. If you choose quartz your worktop will be a more consistent and solid colour and you will be able to choose from a range of fun, contemporary and classic designs, and colours.